SubjectRe: BUG kmalloc-2048: Poison overwritten
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 03:53:43 +0000
> "Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Arjan van de Ven
>> <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

>> > bad bad bad

>> > ^^^^^
>> >
>> > naughty

>> > ^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > worse

>> > actually it's very serious, something is scribbling all over your
>> > memory, it's just a matter of time before that overwrites something
>> > important on your filesystem, and then you have a high risk of
>> > losing most of your data.
>> >
>> > However, since you're using 2 proprietary kernel modules, you
>> > really ought to contact the vendors for those modules for support;
>> > they're a very likely cause for problems
>> > (for example, these two are the cause for the number 1, 2, 5 and 7
>> > of the top 10 kernel oopses/crashes for the last week)
>> >

>> great!!! Well The problem I have with these modules is A) madwifi
>> "waiting until support is in the kernel for this one,
>
> you mean the ath5k driver which already is in the kernel?
> If it doesnt work for you, have you filed a bugzilla ?
>
>> for now I
>> just have to deal with risking loosing any data". B) graphics driver I
>> can unload the driver but then loose suspend to mem "argh!!"
>
> A current ATI driver in X.org ought to be close to getting this one
> right.
>
>> aside from that, I just performed the test again of simultaneously
>> suspending to memory and didn't receive this message,
>
> sure the corruption this time wasn't in a redzone.. but maybe elsewhere.
>
>> so now I'm at a
>> lost for words as to what is happening. The positive side is there
>> isn't any important data on my system i.g. important doc's etc..., but
>>

> good luck.
>

> --
> If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
> For development, discussion and tips for power savings,
> visit http://www.lesswatts.org

Thanks for the help: if the new athk5 supports model AR5418 then I'm a
go for that,
As for the rest of the issues "nice, now you have me freaked out," "I
guess I'll have to use OSX," but then If I do
I'll have to listen to this voice in my head saying " use Linux" "go
ahead Justin use Linux" "come on what are you chicken",
kind of like putting you're full day's worth of work in; and driving
on the 405, Then all of a sudden having a voice tell you
to go grab a nice cold refreshment(B$%^r)
regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock

  Last update: 2008-06-02 06:55    [W:0.362 / U:0.028 seconds]