    SubjectRe: initialization of static per-cpu variables
    On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:35:24PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > On Saturday 24 May 2008 00:29:04 Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:20:06PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > > Yep, it was an old toolchain used by Sparc: DaveM found this one. As you
    > > > say, it's ancient: I'm happy to queue a cleanup patch now everyone is on
    > > > a modern compiler.
    > >
    > > The commit says:
    > >
    > > GCC3.1 apparently gets confused about uninitialized sections
    > >
    > > We do still support gcc 3.2 (which is the same as 3.1 except for a C++
    > > ABI change) as a compiler for the kernel.
    > Adrian, that's a little silly. There are obviously bug fixes in 3.2 over
    > 3.1.0.

    I've checked the announcements of 3.1.1 and 3.2, and at least for me
    nothing looked like it would fix this bug.

    > Noone has complained about the introduction of multiple other cases
    > which would screw things up if they experienced this bug.

    I doubt there is any serious userbase for gcc 3.2 left.

    But your "now everyone is on a modern compiler" does not match what we
    announce as supported compiler versions for the kernel.

    If you have a good reason for pushing the minimum required gcc version
    for compiling the kernel to 3.3 or 3.4 [1] you have my full support, but
    as long as we officially support gcc 3.2 we should try to break as few
    as possible - especially since it will take time until anyone will run
    into any breakage.

    > Finally, it's a sparc64 problem and DaveM acked already.

    Was it a sparc64 problem or a generic problem DaveM happened to run into
    on sparc?

    > That's half the userbase!

    sparc64 isn't that unpopular...

    > Cheers,
    > Rusty.

    Sorry if I'm sounding overly pedantic, but I want that what we try as
    good as possible that what we announce as being supported also works
    (even if this results in several workarounds shipped).

    [1] gcc 3.4 still has a serious userbase at least in ARM country, so you
    won't be able to drop support for it

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-02 10:03    [W:0.021 / U:7.856 seconds]