SubjectRe: kerneloops.org: 2.6.26-rc possible regression in ext3

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> One thing I note is that all the oopses seem to be i686 - are there that
> few x86-64 fc10 users (I'd have assumed that 64-bit is starting to be the
> norm for people who live on the edge, but perhaps I'm just out of touch)?
>
> Or could this perhaps be an indication that it is specific to i686 some
> way (eg a compiler issue?)

The oops code is odd:

27: 8d 4c 18 fe lea 0xfffffffe(%eax,%ebx,1),%ecx
2b:* 8b 19 mov (%ecx),%ebx <-- trapping instruction
2d: 83 e9 08 sub $0x8,%ecx
30: 89 d8 mov %ebx,%eax
32: 66 d1 e8 shr %ax
35: 0f b7 c0 movzwl %ax,%eax

and that "lea" is doing an address computation of "eax+2*ebx-2". Which
does *not* look like an address to a 32-bit entity, but to a 16-bit one.
Yeah, it's not conclusive, but it is suggestive.

And the 16-bit "shr+movzwl" further strengthens the case that it is
actually working on a 16-bit entity. The trapping instruction _should_
possibly have been a "movzwl (%ecx),%ebx" to begin with.

But it did a 32-bit load, and in this case it looks as if the 16-bit load
would have been correct! The value of ECX in this example was

ECX: dc384ffe

ie it was indeed a two-byte aligned thing at the end of the page, and if
the load had been a 16-bit load (like the data seems to be), it would
never have oopsed! The page fault seems to be due to DEBUG_PAGEALLOC and
the next page being unmapped because it's not allocated.

I only looked closer at one particular oops (25906, in case anybody
cares), but at least judging from that particular one I would indeed
suspect a compiler bug.

Of course, the main reason I say that is that none of the ext3 or VFS
changes look even _remotely_ relevant to any of this. They really don't
look like they could possibly matter for "do_split()" unless there is
something really odd going on.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-06-19 08:17    [W:0.058 / U:2.240 seconds]