SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] usb-storage: wait for device scanning before mounting root
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:54:19PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:39:38PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> > The problem is AFAIU not exactly how many Scsi_Host instances (initiator
> > port representations, or something remotely related to that) are
> > instantiated, but rather _when_ they are instantiated. On multi
> > protocol buses or networks like USB and FireWire, it makes sense to
> > create the SCSI initiator port representation when we discovered that
> > there are actually SCSI targets on the bus or network.
>
> I'm not convinced of that. Why shouldn't we create one scsi host for
> all USB scsi devices? I know that today there's a certain amount of
> per-device state stored in the scsi_host, but that should be fixable.

First, there are usb-storage devices which are USB<->SCSI bridges and
therefore support multiple target devices.

Second, you would still need multiple hosts when you have more than 15
target USB devices, anyway.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

E: You run this ship with Windows?! YOU IDIOT!
L: Give me a break, it came bundled with the computer!
-- ESR and Lan Solaris
User Friendly, 12/8/1998

  Last update: 2008-06-19 22:43    [W:0.049 / U:1.608 seconds]