SubjectRe: Oops report for the week preceding June 16th, 2008

> > It's been something of a double edged sword. It's great that users are
> > getting the latest drivers & fixes, but at the same time, it means they
> > get exposed to all the latest breakage at the same time.
> > Given the volume of change occuring, cherry-picking isn't an enviable task,
> > so distros are stuck between this reality, or leaving users hanging until we
> > get to the next point release.
> >
> > FWIW, wireless isn't unique in this regard. For eg, the last few months we've
> > always been shipping the latest ALSA bits rather than what's in kernel.org too,
> > for similar reasons -- when bugs appear, the developers want to know
> > "does it still happen with the latest bits?"
> >

> this is the part that concerns me. The fact that you feel the need to use "not yet in mainline" pieces
> (I'm not so much talking about backporting from 2.6.26-git to 2.6.25; that's perfectly fine, but I'm
> talking about code not in 2.6.26-git) is NOT a healthy sign.... if that truely is the case then that code surely
> deserves to be in mainline as well?

That's more a case of Fedora living on the bleeding edge. The code is
fairly stable, all in linux-next, but the churn tends to be high because
of internal API changes that affect all drivers. Currently, I don't
think there is actually any _feature_ pending in linux-next, only
internal cleanups. Such cleanups are desirable, but at the same time can
lead to instability, hence being kept out of .26-git for the time being,
and are in -next for .27. Mostly because we only wrote them after .26
started.

johannes

  Last update: 2008-06-18 09:21    [W:0.068 / U:0.020 seconds]