SubjectRe: Two questions on VFS/mm
On Fri 13-06-08 16:44:47, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Thursday June 12, jack@suse.cz wrote:

> > > Maybe there is an invariant that an address_space never has a dirty
> > > page beyond the end-of-file??
> > > Certainly 'truncate' invalidates and un-dirties such pages.
> > >
> > > With typical writes, ->write_begin will extend EOF to include the
> > > page, and ->write_end will mark it dirty (I think).
> > >
> > > mmap writes are probably a bit different, but I suspect the same
> > > principle applies.
> > >
> > > If the page is not dirty, then
> > > if (PageWriteback(page) ||
> > > !clear_page_dirty_for_io(page)) {
> > > unlock_page(page);
> > > continue;
> > > }
> > >
> > > will fire, and you never get to
> > > ret = (*writepage)(page, wbc, data);
> > As Miklos pointed out, there's at least call do_invalidatepage() from
> > block_write_full_page() which does invalidate the page but does not clear
> > dirty bits or remove page from page cache. Otherwise I'd agree with
> > you...
>
> block_write_full_page will have been called after a
> clear_page_dirty_for_io() call, so it should not be dirty.
>
> I guess it could have been dirtied again as you don't need the page
> lock to dirty a page... though if it is beyond EOF, maybe you do...
>
> Hmm, I have a very strong feeling that "this cannot happen", and that
> it should certainly be "this shouldn't happen", but I guess I'm not
> 100% convincing at the moment :-)
Definitely marking page beyond EOF dirty can happen without page lock.
Look for example at clean_page_dirty_for_io() - there we do
set_page_dirty() in case dirty bit is set in page tables and noone checks
for being beyond EOF.
So what I'd think can happen (although this is rather theoretical, I
admit) is that if there happen to be two processes doing writeback on the
same file (one may be pdflush, the other one for example data writeback on
journal commit), the third process doing truncate and someone accesses mmap,
we can see:
pdflush writeback truncate writer
-> write_cache_pages -> write_cache_pages
- lookup dirty pages - lookup dirty pages
- i_size = 0
-> writepage
-> block_write_full_page
-> do_invalidatepage
writes to page beyond EOF
- sees dirty bit
-> writepage -> Oops

> > > My understanding is that memory mapping is always done in multiples of
> > > the page size. When you dirty any part of a page, you effectively dirty
> > > the whole page, so you need to extend the file to cover the whole page.
> > > i.e. the page_mkwrite() call must extend the file to a size of 4096.
> > Well, you definitely cannot increase file size because someone wrote to
> > the last page of file whose size is not multiple of page size. So when your
> > block size is smaller than page size, you have to handle it somehow... You
> > could instantiate blocks beyond end of file but that gets a bit tricky
> > (e.g. in ext3, we don't allow such blocks to exist so far).
>
> I get the problem now.. I read the 'mmap' man page:
>
> A file is mapped in multiples of the page size. For a file that is not
> a multiple of the page size, the remaining memory is zeroed when
> mapped, and writes to that region are not written out to the file. The
> effect of changing the size of the underlying file of a mapping on the
> pages that correspond to added or removed regions of the file is
> unspecified.
>
> As the situation you are describing is documented as having
> "unspecified" behaviour, I guess you can do whatever you want.
> So just not writing out to any block that isn't backed by a filesystem
> block would be defensible. But maybe not desirable.
Hmm, I never thought about discarding mmap accesses even after the
extending truncate has happened. I guess there are quite some applications
which use this so I think it's not an option...

> I like your idea of playing with the mapping.
> I don't think you want to bother mapping it as "read-only" - just
> unmap it altogether. When it is next mapped writable to service a
> write you will get a page_mkwrite call and you can fix things up.
>
> To unmap the page, just call
> unmap_mapping_range(mapping, page_index << PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT,
> PAGE_CACHE_SIZE, 0);
> (I got that from truncate_inode_pages_range in mm/truncate.c).
> You can do this while you have the page locked, and it won't be
> mapped again until you unlock it.
True but we have to be careful not to discard data in that page before
EOF. Thinking more about it, we'll probably have to allocate blocks
upto multiple of page size on extending truncate...
Thanks for your ideas.
Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2008-06-17 12:13    [W:0.059 / U:0.512 seconds]