    SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325
    On Tuesday, 17 of June 2008, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > May I gently ask that the patch ("x86: I/O APIC: timer through 8259A second-chance")
    > > be reverted?
    > We're trying to find a solution for a long-standing problem and this
    > patch is a step in that direction. We need to find out exactly what is
    > going wrong with the HP nx6325 system and removing the patch would make us
    > lose the opportunity to get things right in this area. At the time I
    > submitted that patch I warned a lot of testing would be required before it
    > goes upstream and hopefully my request will get honored. If you do not
    > want to participate in testing for whatever reason, you have the right to
    > do so, but I insist on the patch to stay at least until we know the source
    > of the problem and conclude there is no other way to get it fixed. Len
    > reported he's got the same system and it behaves the same, so I hope he'll
    > be able to do the testing if you decide to opt out.

    I can do the testing actually, but IMO putting that patch into linux-next was a

    > Unfortunately the 64-bit variation has a lot of necessary logging
    > disabled by default (as you have now discovered with the need to rename
    > apic_printk() to printk()), so my plan is to cook up a patch to enable all
    > the available logging facilities around that code first.

    Well, that's easy. I can send you a dmesg output with all of the printk()s in
    there functional if that helps, but frankly I don't see how this is going to
    get you more information than I've already posted.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-17 23:39    [W:0.025 / U:10.304 seconds]