    SubjectRe: ALC883 recording troubles...

    On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Takashi Iwai <> wrote:
    > At Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:00:17 +0100,
    > Daniel J Blueman wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Takashi Iwai <> wrote:

    >> > Could you elaborate? The mic bias level could be changed via the pin
    >> > control value. Usually, it's set as VREF 80%.
    >> When the recording->capture level is set to 0, the mic has no DC
    >> offset as expected. Maxing the recording->capture level, the mic input
    >> is saturated, in between, we see a linear connection.

    I find that a good way to examine the captured PCM is the following command:

    $ arecord | od -t x1z -v

    With the "Capture" and "Digital" controls both at 0 in alsamixer, this
    outputs just a constant 0x80 byte. This seems natural.

    With "Digital" at 0, changing "Capture" has no effect. However, with
    "Capture" at 0 and these values for "Digital":

    db gain -30 byte read 0x80
    db gain -28 byte read 0x81
    db gain -26 byte read 0x82
    db gain -22 byte read 0x83
    db gain -19 byte read 0x84
    db gain -17 byte read 0x85
    db gain -15 byte read 0x86
    db gain -13 byte read 0x87
    db gain -12 byte read 0x88
    db gain -11 byte read 0x89
    db gain -10 byte read 0x8a
    db gain -9 byte read 0x8b
    db gain -8 byte read 0x8d <-- up two here
    db gain -7 byte read 0x8e
    db gain -6 byte read 0x90
    db gain -5 byte read 0x92
    db gain -4 byte read 0x94
    db gain -3 byte read 0x97
    db gain 12 byte read 0xff
    db gain 13 (and up) byte read 0x00 <-- seems to flip over or get capped

    If I now change "Capture" to have dB gain 0 (35% in alsamixer), I get
    this instead (for different values of "Digital"):

    db gain -30 byte read 0x80
    db gain -29 byte read 0x85
    db gain -18 byte read 0x90
    db gain -12 byte read 0xa0
    db gain -6 byte read 0xc0
    db gain -1 byte read 0xf2

    So in fact, if both controls are at dB gain 0 (or one of them is
    higher), the only byte I can read is 0x00.

    > You can try to adjust VREF value of mic pins.
    > For example, the node 0x18 and 0x19 correspond to the rear and front
    > mics, respectively. Then run the following as root:
    > # ./hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x18 SET_PIN_WID 0x21
    > which will change the widget 0x18 (rear mic) to input-VREF 50%
    > (0x21). The original value is input-VREF 80% (0x24).

    I tried to do this for my card. For me, I need the 0x19 widget, which
    is the internal mic:

    Node 0x19 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40008b: Stereo Amp-In
    Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x02, stepsize=0x4f, mute=0
    Amp-In vals: [0x00 0x00]
    Pincap 0x083724: IN Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80 100
    Pin Default 0x99a30941: [Fixed] Mic at Int ATAPI
    Conn = ATAPI, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0x4, Sequence = 0x1
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
    Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
    Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0

    And I tried various values for the PinCtl. 0x20, 0x21, and 0x22, (0x24
    was the default), but with no change in the input byte stream AT ALL!
    And I double-checked, my input source is set to "Internal Mic". (Just
    to be 100% sure, I tried all three input sources, but it was the same
    for all. So no change in the input at all.)

    Do you have any more tips that I can try out?

    Also, I am just curious, is it possible to break the microphone (or
    other physical components) by changing the voltage levels to
    unsupported values, or is it safe to experiment freely? I read this in
    the HDA specification:

    "The VRefEn field encoding selects one of the possible states for the
    VRef signal(s). If the value written to this control does not
    correspond to a supported value as defined in the Pin Capabilities
    parameter, the control must either retain the previous value or take
    the value of 000, which will put the control in a Hi-Z state and
    prevent damage to any attached components."

    "The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
    the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it
    disguises that the error is the programmer's own creation."
    -- E. W. Dijkstra, EWD1036

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-12 15:07    [W:0.033 / U:15.020 seconds]