SubjectRe: Is configfs the right solution for configuration based fs?

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 10:01 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 10:12 +1000, Ben Nizette wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 11:03 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, I have a few issues with this:
> > > 1) why bother with a second configuration interface that we have to
> > > maintain, adjust, ...? if we need scriptable access, then make a
> > > good userspace tool that is scriptable.
> >
> > What's the first one, sysfs..? ioctl (eww..)?
>
> netlink.

Ah right. Netlink is indeed a nice interface for this kind of network
device configuration, I'd probably use that for this task too.

Of course, it isn't a general solution to the problem. If I were
answering the question in $(SUBJECT) I'd say configfs is a good choice.
In the specific case of network devices, you're lucky enough to have
something more specifically tailored to your needs already.

> > > 2) string-based stuff is often messy, especially the varying attributes
> > > like MAC addresses etc. Unless we just use binary files again, which
> > > is not very useful again. Take, for example, the monitor flags. If
> > > we use the same flags then nobody really knows what's up
> > > (echo 0x3 > mntr_flags?) and if we use strings then we cannot easily
> > > ever rename the flag while keeping ABI/API compatibility.
> >
> > Not sure I see the argument here, why would you want to change the flag
> > name? If you decide the old name is stupid then can't you just alias
> > the old name to the new one?
>
> Sure can do, but it just adds a lot of complexity to the kernel. I don't
> see the point, it's not like you need a lot of code to build netlink
> messages. Heck, I've done it by _hand_ and used just netlink sockets.
> It's not a lot of code.
>
> > String handling is always a bit iffy, though it has to be done
> > somewhere, either in kernel or in your "good userspace tool which is
> > scriptable". I'd prefer to have it done once, well, in the kernel and
> > not have to ship more software than necessary.
>
> I personally prefer to put it into userspace.

Yeah, personal preference here. I come from an embedded background and
have an aversion to tracking more userspace tools than I have to. This
mainly comes from the fact uClibc (an embedded C library) doesn't
maintain binary compatibility across releases; each time a bugfix comes
out for that my entire userspace needs to be recompiled. Each userspace
tool I add to my build scripts makes me die a little inside ;-)

--Ben.

  Last update: 2008-06-11 00:15    [W:0.072 / U:0.476 seconds]