    SubjectRe: [RFC 2/7] cramfs: create unique inode numbers
    Date
    On Sunday 01 June 2008, Jörn Engel wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:20:15 +0200, arnd@arndb.de wrote:
    > >
    > > This changes the inode number in cramfs to be based on
    > > the location of the dentry instead of the file, in order
    > > to make inodes unique.
    >
    > Couldn't this cause problems for NFS? The same inode no longer has a
    > stable inode number across reboots. Basing on dentry location can also
    > be an information leak and cause problems on 64bit machines with old
    > userspace.

    Sorry if I was not clear with this: I meant dentry location on disk,
    not in memory. So the inode number is still stable across reboots and
    does not leak data, it is just different from before.

    > We could keep the original approach and use a static counter otherwise.
    > Something roughly like this:

    One thing I like about my 2/7 patch is that it actually reduces the amount
    of code in the file system, while your solution would increase it, with
    otherwise identical behaviour.

    Arnd <><