SubjectRe: Possible regression? 2.6.26-rc1: T61s failure after suspend/resume
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > I'm running a kernel based off of commit afa26be8 (just six commits
> > after 2.6.26-rc1), and very shortly after I suspend/resume my X61s (with
> > the Intel video chipset), the X server will lock up. I can ssh into
> > the machine remotely, and restart the X server, but the newly restarted
> > X server will shortly lock up again, and the only way to solve the
> > problem is to reboot. If I drop back to a 2.6.25 based kernel, the
> > problem goes away.
> >
> > I've tried bisecting it, but the bisection points picked by git don't
> > boot at all, and given that I'm travelling I havent had much time to try
> > doing more bisecting; since I know a number of kernel developers have
> > Lenovo X61 laptops, I thought before I wasted more time trying to get
> > the git bisection to work, I'd check to see if anyone has seen this
> > problem and if the fix is known. I'll also try the latest bleeding edge
> > kernel and hope it's fixed there....
>
> I don't have a Lenovo X61, and I've no problem on my uniprocessor T43p.
> But I also have a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile, Core2 Duo and Intel
> graphics like yours, and that's been behaving strangely after resume
> from RAM since somewhere between 2.6.25 and 2.6.26-rc1.
>
> Sounds like it might be the same problem, though I quickly moved away
> trying it with X, and have been trying to investigate just from the
> console for some days now. Weird memory corruption after resume.
>
> Like you, little success with bisection: probably-other bugs get in
> the way. Some bisection points don't boot, some don't come back from
> resume at all, some hang before getting to test. When, as a working
> hypothesis, I assumed that not coming back from resume might be the
> same problem manifesting in the return from resume itself, and shifted
> around bisection points a bit to avoid non-booting, then it arrived at
>
> commit 4fe29a85642544503cf81e9cf251ef0f4e65b162
> Author: Glauber de Oliveira Costa <gcosta@redhat.com>
> Date: Wed Mar 19 14:25:23 2008 -0300
> x86: use specialized routine for setup per-cpu area
>
> as the suspect commit. But I couldn't see anything obviously wrong
> with that; and it could well be no more guilty than shifting around
> the kernel address space somewhat. I've rather given up on the
> bisection angle; and indeed, since found that how the problem
> manifests varies somewhat from one day's git to another,
> from one config to another.
>
> It does not happen with maxcpus=1. Yesterday it occurred to me
> to try without CONFIG_PREEMPT=y; but reached no conclusion on that,
> it turns out preemption has been somehow essential to resume from
> RAM on this machine since before 2.6.25: clearly a separate issue.
> And resume from RAM running 64-bit on it is also long problematic.
>
> To reproduce the problem, I start off by building a kernel with
> make -j3 (from habit, perhaps with priming the pagecache in mind),
> then interrupt that around the time it gets to filemap.o, bootmem.o.
> [...]

I can't reproduce it neither, and looking at the code over and over
again, see no obvious point for the breakage. I'll try to reproduce it
myself,
to see if I can spot something. But correct me if I'm wrong, this is
all 64-bit machines, right?

I'm stuck with mostly 32-bit hardware, but will give it a try anyway.

--
Glauber Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."

  Last update: 2008-05-09 17:31    [W:0.098 / U:0.284 seconds]