    SubjectRe: intel-iommu: CONFIG_DMAR*=y kills my box
    On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:15:54PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:04:45 +0200
    > Gabriel C <nix.or.die@googlemail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > Guys, it's really painful having to scroll through thousand-line emails to
    > find a few lines of information. Please trim stuff.
    >

    > > > I do find it quite odd that a DMA code path specific to PCIE is somehow
    > > > in the loop for a parallel port device. Should this be possible?
    > >
    > > I have no idea =) ( PCI folks added to CC )
    > >

    > > > I could easily be wrong so feel free to correct me but;
    > > > I think your bios is goofy / unprepared to support IOMMU / VT-d and
    > > > doing strange things with enumerated a parallel port on a PCIE bus with
    > > > VTD is turned on...
    > >
    > > I will contact ASUS peoples about the BIOS but it has for sure VT-d support and it is enabled.
    >
    > So.. what happened here? It seems like a pretty fatal problem, and
    > personally I don't think that contacting vendors about BIOS upgrades is a
    > suitable general solution. It would be much better to find a kernel-based
    > fix or workaround?

    I just got some expert advice on this issue. I will try again and look
    for a problem with the iommu code getting executed before the USB / PCI
    bus is fully initialized.

    also, I just realized that I was attempting to reproduce the failure on
    the MM tree, and re-reading the report I see its on the linux-next tree.

    I'm retesting it this am.

    --mgross

      Last update: 2008-05-08 16:39    [W:0.036 / U:152.676 seconds]