    SubjectRe: 2.6.26-rcX VC console scrolling regression

    On Thursday 2008-05-08 06:46, David Miller wrote:
    >Causes garbage characters to appear at the end of lines on my VCs when
    (Gotten past the initramfs now..)
    >They look like lowercase 'c' characters with a '.' above them, and they
    >are colored light blue. The rest of the console text is fine.
    >I think it might be because my VC gets put into a UTF8 mode or something
    >like that via the init scripts? It seems to start happening right when
    >the init scripts print "Setting up console font and keymap", which seems
    >to come from /etc/init.d/console-setup which runs /bin/setupcon
    >This is with a stock Ubuntu 7.10 installation.

    I "reproduced" it this way on Ubuntu on i386 with fbcon (which you
    are likely to be using on sparc64), when switching from a 256 to
    512-glyph font. So far, only Ubuntu seems to exhibit this problem,
    I am going to test Fedora for its fitness now.

    # Right after boot...
    # Trigger
    setfont Arabic-VGA16

    # Resolve bug with 'reset'
    while $not_scrolled; do

    My guess is that you see the effects of incomplete font table/position
    switching, something along the lines a `cat /dev/urandom` would cause.
    Using the very same kernel and boot params (vga=791 or anything to
    switch it to fbcon), I cannot trigger the problem on opensuse.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-08 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:3.220 seconds]