    SubjectRe: AIM7 40% regression with 2.6.26-rc1

    On Wed, 7 May 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Quite frankly, maybe we _need_ to have a bad BKL for those to ever get
    > fixed. As it was, people worked on trying to make the BKL behave better,
    > and it was a failure. Rather than spend the effort on trying to make it
    > work better (at a horrible cost), why not just say "Hell no - if you have
    > issues with it, you need to work with people to get rid of the BKL
    > rather than cluge around it".

    Put another way: if we had introduced the BKL-as-semaphore with a known
    40% performance drop in AIM7, I would simply never ever have accepted the
    patch in the first place, regardless of _any_ excuses.

    Performance is a feature too.

    Now, just because the code is already merged should not be an excuse for
    it then being shown to be bad. It's not a valid excuse to say "but we
    already merged it, so we can't unmerge it". We sure as hell _can_ unmerge

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-07 17:05    [W:0.020 / U:31.544 seconds]