SubjectRe: 2.6.26, PAT and AMD family 6
Hi!

> > > This feature and detection code is hard to clean up and definitely out
> > > of the scope of this patch.
> >
> > Did you even look at the commit we are discussing?
> >
> > It ***adds*** exactly the same code at three different places.
>
> Yes, I did. And it adds it for a fscking good reason.
>
> 1) two times in common.c due to the existing detection logic mess
> 2) once in the 64 bit version

WTF? The code can happily live in a function. No need to add two
copies to single file. If you need to share function between 32 and 64
bit, just put it to separate .c file.

> > fall into his own trap by patching only one copy of his duplicated code.
>
> That's not a real good reason to yell at him.

Actually no, that's not a good reason to yell at _him_. But it is
_perfectly valid_ reason to yell at whoever commited that to x86 tree,
given that:

1) it has empty changelog (come on, "review" a patch and not notice
that changelog is empty?!)

2) HPA said it was bad idea

3) copy&paste code remained in the patch
Pavel

  Last update: 2008-05-08 00:17    [W:0.079 / U:1.064 seconds]