    SubjectRe: linux-next: Requirements and process
    On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:45:57 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

    > On Fri, 2 May 2008 23:35:19 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sat, 3 May 2008 15:45:42 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
    > >
    > > > The following architectures are not in linux-next (and should be):
    > > >
    > > > alpha cris frv
    > > > h8300 m32r m68knommu
    > > > mips mn10300 parisc
    > > > um v850 xtensa
    > >
    > > mips, m32r, parisc and xtensa do have git trees. The rest are mastered as
    > > discrete patches in -mm.
    >
    > So, I was wondering if it would be worth while having subsections to a
    > series file like:
    >
    > # NEXT_PATCHES_START [<label> [<base>]]
    >
    > # NEXT_PATCHES_END
    >
    > With <label> sections being logically separate enough that we can talk
    > about them/drop them/merge them at different places etc.
    >
    > Or am I over engineering? :-)

    That sounds good. I once started to think about how to do this but
    accidentally fell asleep. I was thinking along the lines of the above,
    only it drives an akpm script which spits out separate quilt (or git) trees
    for linux-next.

    The problem is that I then need to "drop" the patches so that I can merge
    linux-next. That's where I fell asleep. I suppose that putting the
    well-baked ones into a git tree and mastering them there solves the
    problem. But juggling 100-odd git branches on top of everything else
    doesn't sound fun.

    I need to think about this some more - it'll come.

    What does "[<base>]" do?

      Last update: 2008-05-03 16:31    [W:0.023 / U:29.876 seconds]