    SubjectRe: Ingo, no more kconfig patches
    On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:17:09PM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
    > Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> writes:
    >
    > > I'm not even sure the semantics of "select follows dependencies"
    > > would actually be better than what we have today.
    >
    > I think it would. But how would that actually work? By displaying all
    > relevant dependency chains and asking the user to select one?

    Let's look at the problem this thread is about:

    menuconfig NEW_LEDS
    bool "LED Support"

    config LEDS_CLASS
    tristate "LED Class Support"
    depends on NEW_LEDS # actually an "if", but that's
    just syntactical sugar

    config X86_RDC321X
    bool "RDC R-321x SoC"
    select LEDS_CLASS

    If you select LEDS_CLASS "select follows dependencies" would let inherit
    X86_RDC321X the dependencies of LEDS_CLASS, IOW treat it as:

    config X86_RDC321X
    bool "RDC R-321x SoC"
    select LEDS_CLASS
    depends on NEW_LEDS

    That might make the randconfig crowd happy.

    But from an UI perspective it's not an improvement.

    And regarding "displaying all relevant dependency chains" to the user -
    I can't see how that would work in the more complicated cases.

    > Krzysztof Halasa

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-05-03 23:51    [W:0.021 / U:0.176 seconds]