SubjectRe: Ingo, no more kconfig patches
On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:17:09PM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <> writes:
> > I'm not even sure the semantics of "select follows dependencies"
> > would actually be better than what we have today.
> I think it would. But how would that actually work? By displaying all
> relevant dependency chains and asking the user to select one?

Let's look at the problem this thread is about:

menuconfig NEW_LEDS
bool "LED Support"

tristate "LED Class Support"
depends on NEW_LEDS # actually an "if", but that's
just syntactical sugar

config X86_RDC321X
bool "RDC R-321x SoC"

If you select LEDS_CLASS "select follows dependencies" would let inherit
X86_RDC321X the dependencies of LEDS_CLASS, IOW treat it as:

config X86_RDC321X
bool "RDC R-321x SoC"
depends on NEW_LEDS

That might make the randconfig crowd happy.

But from an UI perspective it's not an improvement.

And regarding "displaying all relevant dependency chains" to the user -
I can't see how that would work in the more complicated cases.

> Krzysztof Halasa

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed