    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project
    On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 22:58 -0700, David Miller wrote:
    > From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
    > Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:20:12 -0500
    >
    > > In the spirit of having a more process than technical based kernel
    > > summit, I'd like to put the topic of the kernel Janitors project up for
    > > discussion.
    >
    > Not to distract from your points, but I think it's been a huge
    > mistake to not allow folks to work hard on technical issues
    > during the summit.

    Having been stopped a couple of times last year when trying to bring
    some technical subjects for the reason that they were "off topic, KS is
    for process" I tend to agree :-)

    There are some things that are hard to get through the list, or even
    IRC, such as wanting to reorganize some part of the core and wanting to
    get "live" input and discussion with most arch maintainers.

    In my case it was some rework on some of the page table batching, for
    which I finally didn't finish the work as I'm not too happy with what I
    came up with, but I'm still somewhat convinced there's something to do
    there and I could use a bit of a group beat-up in a room.

    There are other areas like that which would benefit from that kind of
    hard core tech discussion face to face.

    However, on the other hand, KS is only 2 days, which doesn't leave room
    for that much stuff. And I don't think splitting into sub-groups or
    mini-summits is necessarily the answers. There are some areas where it's
    useful to do the tech beatup -with- everybody in the room.

    Just my 2 cents... Maybe we need 2 summits, the process one and the tech
    one ? :-)

    Cheers,
    Ben.

      Last update: 2008-05-29 08:19    [W:0.025 / U:0.268 seconds]