SubjectRe: optimizing out inline functions
Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James Kosin <jkosin@beta.intcomgrp.com> writes:
>

>> Sam Ravnborg wrote:

>> <<--SNIP-->>
>>
>>> With reference to a recent thread about kconfig
>>> I would prefer:
>>> static inline void some_debug_function(var1)
>>> {
>>> if (KCONFIG_DEBUG_SOMETHING) {
>>> something = var1;
>>> printk(some debug text);
>>> }
>>> }
>>>

>>> But we do not have KCONFIG_DEBUG_SOMETHING available
>>> so the second best is to use an empty function
>>> to keep the typechecking in place.
>>>
>>> IIRC gcc optimize both away.
>>>
>> Another way would be to have:
>>
>> static inline void some_debug_function(var1)
>> {
>> #ifdef KCONFIG_DEBUG_SOMETHING
>> something = var1;
>> printk(some debug text);
>> #endif
>> }
>>
>> BUT, this probably violates some styling rules.
>>

> Without indenting the ifdefs, I think this solution is the best.
>
> It gives you the advantages of type checking but saves a superfluous
> prototype.
>
> Hannes

Actually, Joe Perches, gave a good reason for using the MACRO #define
method; so, this could really turn into an interesting discussion.
Pros and Cons are always interesting when there is more than one way to
do something.

James

  Last update: 2008-05-29 15:19    [W:0.049 / U:0.080 seconds]