SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project
James Bottomley wrote:
[...]
> track down, the last thing I want to see within a million miles of my
> inbox is a white space fixing patch. The more of these patches we get,
> the worse the problem becomes and the shorter and more inflammatory the

This particular problem seems fixable. Put something like this in the
janitor faq:

"Don't create patches that are whitespace-fixes, or similiar attempts to
make the kernel adhere to the CodingStyle without actually changing the
working code. The reasons are:
* Any patch disturbs others working on the same file. So change must be
justified by usefulness above mere pretty formatting.
* The maintainer can run the code through pretty-printing software
_when it won't disrupt other activity_. Such software will do
a better cleanup job than you can, and with no human effort at.
Please find something more useful to do than whitespace/style
improvements on existing code."

And if they do this anyway, just reject the patch with a pointer to the
FAQ entry...

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2008-05-29 13:35    [W:0.220 / U:1.064 seconds]