    SubjectFwd: QUESTION: How can I make a driver for a special serial keyboard which also supports output (maybe via serio_raw)?
    (Now, for all people, sorry)

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Néstor Amigo Cairo <>
    Date: 2008/5/27
    Subject: Re: QUESTION: How can I make a driver for a special serial
    keyboard which also supports output (maybe via serio_raw)?
    To: Benoit Boissinot <>

    Thanks!! You are awesome, guys, I wouldn't been able to find this if
    it was "Googling". I have to take a look now, but it looks cool. If I
    can just use this X11 hack now, then I have plenty of time to develop
    a driver (for a near future, maybe, when more functionality should be

    All comments will be welcome!!

    2008/5/27 Benoit Boissinot <>:
    > [please keep the cc list and reply to all]
    > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Néstor Amigo Cairo <> wrote:
    >> I have been thinking on it, but it's easier to reimplement some
    >> widgets on Qt for just three keys (I can reuse them easily because of
    >> OOP), than managing focus on every widget communicating the
    >> application directly with the serial port (I've been using a switch
    >> structure for this purpose, which is not very kindly). I saw the
    >> device as a keyboard with just three keys and which can also receive
    >> some bytes from the application. This makes debugging and testing much
    >> easier than dealing directly with the serial interface for changing
    >> the focus and managing the application. The only problem is that a
    >> driver must be written for the device, but my long-term idea is to
    >> write some kind of programmable driver, so it could be reused easily
    >> (by instance, assigning a matrix of values to binary data sent to the
    >> serial port, and converting those bytes into Keys using these values,
    >> as in the original driver, but allowing userspace apps to change this
    >> behaviour). I'm not sure if it would be helpful for anyone else. And I
    >> also lack any knowledge of the kernel internals, as you can see.
    > If you just want to use it in X, then you could use ttyx (you can find
    > it at It translates events
    > from the serial device to X keyboard event, it was developped by
    > Samuel for a similar project (a device with a couple buttons that sends
    > the key via a serial port).
    > I thinks it would be quite easy to add a table to translate to a different
    > key if you need that.
    This would surely be included in normal distros.

    > regards,
    > Benoit

    Néstor Amigo Cairo
    +34 687 96 74 81

    Néstor Amigo Cairo
    +34 687 96 74 81

      Last update: 2008-05-28 10:03    [W:0.023 / U:66.960 seconds]