    SubjectRe: I am a volunteer
    Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:23:22PM +0200, Davi Leal wrote:
    >> Adrian Bunk wrote:
    >> > The easiest and very valuable task is testing the kernel as described at
    >> >
    >> I am more motivated to do development than testing.
    > And who do you think will test your dev then ?
    > Testing very quickly involves development because you will notice bugs
    > first, then missing chunks of code to handle special conditions, and by
    > this time you will feel much better with kernel internals and will have
    > no problem starting on more complex tasks.

    I second what Adrian and Willy wrote, because that's basically how I
    became involved. A driver subsystem which I wanted to use didn't work
    quite 100%, so I always checked out the newest sources of the subsystem
    development repo and reported open issues or regressions. When (a)
    developers vanished and (b) I became more confident I started to submit
    patches myself.

    Another conclusion from that is that you should pick an area which
    genuinely interests you, i.e. a driver or protocol or whatever which you
    actually use yourself frequently. That's a lot more motivating than to
    pick a project from a todo-list at random.
    Stefan Richter

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-26 16:39    [W:0.032 / U:57.808 seconds]