SubjectRe: correction to compat_sys_kexec_load
Sharyathi Nagesh <sharyath@in.ibm.com> writes:

> Hi
> While testing with kexec tool, I observed some problems. When application
> (kexec) is 32 bit and kernel is 64 bit I observed that loading crash kernel
> works without any issues but unloading crash kernel fails.
> running strace over 'kexec -u -p'
> show the problem to be with sys_kexec_load() call
>
> sys_kexec_load(0, 0, 0, 0x1, 0) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> write(2, "kexec_load (0 segments) failed: "..., 49
> kexec_load (0 segments) failed: Invalid argument
> ) = 4

Yes. This is a bug. Although not in the kernel implementation.

> This is patch to fix the problem, I think kernel code had a typo where in:
> if((flags & KEXEC_ARCH_MASK) == KEXEC_ARCH) was used instead of
> if((flags & KEXEC_ARCH_MASK) != KEXEC_ARCH)

Nope. We do the latter check after we have fixed up the arguments
and call sys_kexec_load. The check really is meant to filter out
KEXEC_ARCH_DEFAULT.

> This patch takes care of that, I have tested the patch it worked fine for
> me. Please review the patch and let me know of your views. This patch is based
> on linux-2.6.26-rc3.

That patch as it exists is actively bad. It removes the check for a really
nasty gotcha if someone passes in KEXEC_ARCH_DEFAULT in 32bit mode. Code
expecting a 32bit handoff and getting a 64bit handoff will explode in fun
ways. You happened to test the one corner case where this does not matter.

What we need to do is fix /sbin/kexec to pass in the correct
architecture of the kernel for unload as it does for load.

Eric

  Last update: 2008-05-23 22:23    [W:0.092 / U:0.092 seconds]