SubjectRe: Number of bugs - statistics
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:20:46AM -0700, Natalie Protasevich wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:51:35AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> >> ... and many of those regressions are things people are unlikely to
> >> hit. And we fix many long standing bugs as well.
> >>
> >> Maybe some other data:
> >> * The incoming rate of ACPI bugs has been pretty much flat the last 3
> >> years, while the number of Linux (and ACPI) users has grown
> >> significantly. The number of unfixed bugs has more than halved, from
> >> over 200 to well below 100.
> >> * The SCSI maintainer also reports that he sees flat to declining bug
> >> rates; again with the increase in Linux user base that is a good sign
> >
> > Andrew sees and handles the majority of incoming bug reports.
> > Ask him whether he agress with this.
> >
> > And ALSA alone has 2000 open bug reports, which makes the open ACPI or
> > SCSI bug numbers relatively irrelevant in any "number of bugs"
> > statistics.

> >> We have data for 2.6.25 at least, on which we can and do serious
> >> statistics.
> >
> > Where do we have data for 2.6.25 covering all kinds of bugs?
> >
> > Regressions reported before 2.6.25 and Oops'es etc. are only a small
> > part of the picture.
>
> There is no unified tracking mechanism as of now, this is a big
> problem. There are some projects that have ideas about universal bug
> tracking, for example some people from KDE team expressed their ideas,
> I'm planning to get back with them.
> It would be great if all reports from known and unknown bugzillas were
> piped into one place and sorted out,

Not everyone uses Bugzilla (e.g. ALSA uses Mantis).

And the majority of bug reports might still go only to mailing lists and
not into any bugtracker at all. As long as this happens the data is
simply not available.

> by various criteria: ALSA bugs
> are numerous, which is not important for most enterprise server users
> who would completely disregard this category, whereas desktop users
> will probably concentrate on those more than any other.

The majority of machines running Linux most likely runs with ARM CPUs.

Show me any public source you want to use for getting serious data for
this area.

> So the answer
> to question about kernel stability would be more adequate depending on
> who's asking.

You must not confuse "number of reported bugs" with "kernel stability" -
these two can be quite decoupled.

> --Natalie

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-05-22 18:55    [W:0.283 / U:0.320 seconds]