    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?
    On 21-05-08 23:44, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > So I would personally certainly not mind somebody doing a
    >
    > git mv sound drivers/sound
    > .. edit makefiles and Kconfig files appropriately ..
    > git commit -a
    >
    > and it wouldn't be a problem for git (ie the repository wouldn't grow or
    > anything like that).

    I'd personally like the net/ structure more. So subsystem code under
    sound/ and drivers moved to drivers/sound/.

    >> Of course, the primary question is whether it's really worth.
    >> The obvious drawback is that patches won't be applicable after the
    >> move.
    >
    > Well, git merging is actually pretty good at this, so you can apply the
    > patches to the old release and then merge it, and it will do the right
    > thing (perhaps not for newly created files, but that's pretty easy to fix
    > up).

    And a few symlinks will do wonders as well. I do/did that when I "port"
    patches developped against mainline to the alsa-kernel HG repo. Not a
    problem that way. Apply and rediff to get the new paths.

    > Me personally, I've been more irritated by include/asm-xyz vs arch/xyz. It
    > would be so nice if all the arch-specific changes woudl always show up
    > under arch/ (both from a statistics standpoint, and just because then a
    > diffstat really shows arch-specific stuff really obviously, and sorts all
    > the arch-specific stuff together).

    And one would not forget to add the include directory to a "git log" or
    "git bisect" path specification...

    Rene.

      Last update: 2008-05-21 23:59    [W:0.025 / U:30.804 seconds]