    SubjectRe: Accelerometer, Gyros and ADC's etc within the kernel.
    On Wed, 21 May 2008, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > I don't think that input subsystem woudl be the best choice. While we
    > do support the event-driven mechanism for delivering information to
    > userspace input is mostly oriented for human interface devices, not
    > general data acquisition. If anything input_dev is too fat. Another
    > thing is that input layer anonymizes input devices, makes them
    > capability-oriented. I.e. we dont really care what model of joystick
    > we have, we want something that reports ABS_X, ABS_Y, BTN_FIRE and
    > userpsace can use it whether it a simple analog joystick or something
    > fancy and USB connected. For your purposes you probably do want to know
    > what the device is and what exactly being sampled/measured.
    >
    > I'd go with a lean and mean new subsytem.

    Agreed. I have put some thought on it in the past, and while the input
    subsystem is the only thing even remotely usable for this *right now*, a
    new subsystem for data acquisition would be the best way forward.

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2008-05-21 16:11    [W:2.233 / U:0.028 seconds]