    SubjectRe: Deleting large files
    On Wed 2008-05-07 19:14:33, Morten Welinder wrote:
    > > Suppose you had an N GB file that just filled up the disk. You now
    > > delete it, but get control back before it is really deleted. You
    > > now start to write a new file that will eventually just fill up
    > > the disk. [...]
    > That argument ought to stop right there. If you believe that deleting a
    > file will necessarily and immediately give you back the space, then you
    > are wrong in the current state of the affairs already.

    Not if you are the only user.

    > user experience. Forking a process to do the deletion (a) is pathetic,
    > (b) is not currently done, and (c) does not work: you cannot get a result
    > right away, i.e., you lose error handling.

    If you fork a kernel thread, you lose error handling, too.

    Think -EIO when writing back bitmaps...

    (Hmm, you'd have to use O_SYNC to see that, so this is probably

    I guess doing freeing asynchronously would be okay in the 'close'

    (cesky, pictures)

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-20 16:35    [W:0.019 / U:12.776 seconds]