SubjectRe: x86: 8K stacks by default
Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

> The plan is to remove "this overflows my stack here and now" technical
> argument: we'll add the stack-footprint measurement tracing plugin from
> -rt to ftrace and get that upstream. In -rt's tracer we can measure,
> track and trace the exact worst-case stack footprint of a system, since
> bootup. It relies on the function tracer which looks at the current
> stack footprint at every given moment. It's not a statistical sample, it
> tracks the true worst-case stack footprint.

I had such a measurement patch a long time ago for 2.4 x86-64
(ftp://ftp.x86-64.org/pub/linux-x86_64/debug/stackcheck-1)

But the problem today is the same as it was back then: you can't
really get the production users with the nasty workloads who actually
trigger the difficult overflows to run something like this which has
quite high runtime overhead.

> _Then_ there can be no real technical argument about making the more
> robust 4K stacks the default.

You typoed: s/more/less/

-Andi

P.S. I agree with Alan that the interrupt stacks should be always enabled even
with 8k stacks.

  Last update: 2008-05-02 11:09    [W:0.042 / U:0.676 seconds]