    SubjectRe: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs
    Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    > Im not treating it as a backup, what i want, is to make sure that if 1
    > disk dies, the data is still intact and ill hopefully be able to run
    > with 1 disk till the newly ordered one arrives
    Probably one of the main design objectives behind RAID/md

    > So my question remains.. Is md raid1 not suited for this need? would it
    > be safer to run in non-raid1 mode and daily(maybe hourly) rsync
    > everything over to the second disk?

    md is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    rsync is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    your backups are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    your hard drives are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    your CPU and RAM are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    your CPU and PSU fans are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...

    Clearly if you want to panic over reliability you have lots of choices :)

    David
    PS, FWIW md has saved my data* countless times over the past 'n' years in
    exactly the scenario you describe.

    *(or more accurately has saved me from having to restore my data)

      Last update: 2008-05-02 10:29    [W:0.028 / U:61.228 seconds]