SubjectRe: LogFS merge
On Fri, 2 May 2008 18:52:21 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> There are still a few i's and t's left to dot and cross:
>
> * the changeset comments needs a Signed-off-by: line

Doh! When sending patches that happens automatically. I should teach
git the same trick.

> * The MAINTAINERS file should list your name and logfs mailing list

Definitely.

> * you have a few instances of '#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >
> KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 23)', that should go away for the merge

Yes. I would like to keep the merge version roughly in sync with the
external patch, at least for a while. Not sure how to deal with one
needing the multi-version hackery and the other not wanting it.

> * The copyright notice says 2005-2007, it should probably be 2005-2008

On most files, yes.

> * You may want to add a Documentation/filesystems/logfs.txt file explaining
> the supported mount options.

Sure. I don't have any logfs-specific ones yet, but even that fact
should be made explicit.

> * CONFIG_LOGFS should be tristate, not bool. Unfortunately, you are still
> using three symbols that are not exported: swapper_space (through
> BUG_ON(!page_mapping(page)->a_ops->set_page_dirty)), add_to_page_cache_lru
> and inode_lock. Not sure what to do about this.

inode_lock will get fixed. The BUG_ON could get removed. Not sure
about add_to_page_cache_lru yet.

> * You should really make sure the version you check in compiles,
> fs/logfs/logfs.h is missing an #endif. ;-)

Making a merge dash whilst moving is not always the wisest choice. ;)

> Otherwise, I don't see any reasons why logfs shouldn't go in. The code is
> clean, feature-complete, and there is demand for it. The main question
> I can still see is the timing with the merge window. It's almost closed,
> so if logfs doesn't go in really soon, it should probably wait for the
> 2.6.27 window.

2.6.27 appears to make more sense, yes.

> This patch fixes some of the problems mentined above.

Excellent! Thanks a bunch!

> +L: logfs@logfs.org

I believe it is currently subscribers-only with the usual bounces
everyone holds so dear. I should change that and add a spam filter to
make it bearable.

Jörn

--
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
-- John Powell