    SubjectRe: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs
    On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 09:25 +0100, David Greaves wrote:
    > Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    > > Im not treating it as a backup, what i want, is to make sure that if 1
    > > disk dies, the data is still intact and ill hopefully be able to run
    > > with 1 disk till the newly ordered one arrives
    > Probably one of the main design objectives behind RAID/md

    Exactly, but once people start saying: "Look how many problems people
    post to the thread on
    a weekly basis where people lose their data when md rebuilds go bad with
    non-shared disks" i begin to worry..

    > > So my question remains.. Is md raid1 not suited for this need? would it
    > > be safer to run in non-raid1 mode and daily(maybe hourly) rsync
    > > everything over to the second disk?
    >
    > md is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    > rsync is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    > your backups are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    > your hard drives are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    > your CPU and RAM are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    > your CPU and PSU fans are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
    >
    > Clearly if you want to panic over reliability you have lots of choices :)

    I do not wish to panic, i merely wished to know if linux MD is believed
    to work in most cases, or believed to do all sorts of weird stuff when
    resyncing :)

    > David
    > PS, FWIW md has saved my data* countless times over the past 'n' years in
    > exactly the scenario you describe.

    It has also been useful to people i know, i just wished to be sure :)
    and as Keld Jørn Simonsen and Helge Hafting's comments seems to confirm,
    linux md IS nice and stable :)

    and as said, what im looking for isnt an in-box backup solution, merely
    safety in case one disk burns :)