SubjectRe: Slow DOWN, please!!!
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> A general rule that the trees people want you to pull during a merge window
> should be tested in linux-next before, with no additional last minute changes,
> may help.
>
> For this to work, though, the people will have to know in advance when the
> merge window will start. Which may be helpful anyway.

If I only release into my tree's for-next branch what I would release
into my tree's for-linus if I was to send a merge request to Linus right
in this moment, then I won't need advance notice of a merge window.

IOW, treat -next everyday as if the merge window was open right now.

I'm sure it is not that easy for the larger subsystems or the
infrastructure trees. However, Linus' late -rc announcements are plenty
of advance notice, at least for a merge period as long as two weeks.
--
Stefan Richter

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans