    SubjectRe: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs
    On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 10:09:23AM +0200, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    > On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 00:06 -0700, David Rees wrote:
    > > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Kasper Sandberg <lkml@metanurb.dk> wrote:
    > > > in other words, would i be
    > > > safer to run rsync every day to my other disk, and run in non-raid
    > > > mode?!
    > >
    > > What would be safer is to run rsync every day from one redundant array
    > > to another array - preferably on another machine that is located as
    > > far away as possible from the one that you are backing up.
    > >
    > > RAID is not the same as a backup, though unfortunately, too many
    > > people treat it as such.
    > Im not treating it as a backup, what i want, is to make sure that if 1
    > disk dies, the data is still intact and ill hopefully be able to run
    > with 1 disk till the newly ordered one arrives - and while i naturally
    > will keep offsite backups of most important data, it is certainly far
    > easier to simply rip out a faulty disk, and put in another, instead of
    > restoring from backup from scratch..
    >
    > So my question remains.. Is md raid1 not suited for this need? would it
    > be safer to run in non-raid1 mode and daily(maybe hourly) rsync
    > everything over to the second disk?

    I join in on this question. I have written a howto on our linux raid
    page, that exactly advocates a way to with 2 drives use these 2 drives
    for multiple partitions, of different types of RAID. The partitions
    include /boot / /home and swap - which are actually all allocated
    as RAID partitions on the same 2 drives. See
    http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Preventing_against_a_failing_disk

    I am trying to advocate that this be a recommended setup for normal
    workstations, to for the price of one extra harddisk get additional
    safety and performance.

    My take is that Linux RAID code is so stable, including in the degarded
    mode, that this is robust and stable. However, there are still bugs to
    be found, so you can never be 100 % sure.

    Best regards
    keld

      Last update: 2008-05-02 12:51    [W:2.100 / U:0.024 seconds]