SubjectRe: Modern 2.6 kernels - Notification for changing hostname from proc/sys/kernel/hostname ?
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:16:12PM -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> I was looking at utsname_sysctl.c (if this is the right place) and noticed
> there doesn't seem to be any notification via the connector bus to tell
> userspace the hostname has changed? Is this correct?

Yes. No notifications.

> if so, would not not make sense to add such event triggers so that things like
> KDE would not have to poll to determine if the hostname changes and instead
> had D-BUS tell userspace the hostname changed?

Why does it want to know if and when hostname changes?

> Perhaps this could be applied to other values (where applicable)
> in /proc/sys/kernel?

Probably, what other stuff desktop crowd wants?

> Or is this all going to go into sysfs eventually (where some of this really
> might belong)

Hopefully, not. There is already uname(2), sysctls -- proc and binary,

  Last update: 2008-05-19 21:53    [W:0.038 / U:0.020 seconds]