    SubjectRe: [RFC] x86: merge nmi_32-64 to nmi.c
    [Andi Kleen - Sun, May 18, 2008 at 09:13:04PM +0200]
    | Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    | > Andi Kleen wrote:
    | >> The whole idea was pretty bad. Ifdefs are not ugly because the syntax
    | >> looks ugly, but because it's a semantically ugly construct with bad
    | >> maintainability impact.
    | >>
    | >> Trying to put syntactical sugar around that is a doomed exercise. It
    | >> will be still ugly, no matter what you do.
    | >
    | > Not true. Using C rather than CPP to control the compilation of config
    | > options has the big win that all code paths are still visible to the
    | > compiler.
    |
    | A small win. Still lots of other problems, including testing.
    |
    | In some cases that's not what you want, but it often is, and
    | > it would avoid some degree if inadvertent breakage of options. It can
    | > also be syntactically a lot more pleasant.
    |
    | Well it's still an unnecessary different code path and making
    | it look nicer is just an excuse from properly cleaning it up.
    |
    | -Andi

    ok, thanks to all reviewers for the look being taken. I will try to
    eliminate as much #ifdefs as possible, make them straight and understandable
    and will send the next patch as only get it done. Thanks to all!

    - Cyrill -

      Last update: 2008-05-19 16:31    [W:0.026 / U:30.332 seconds]