    Subject[RFC] rfkill class rework

    This patch series contains what is ready so far of my rfkill rework

    Much has been talked about it already, please refer to the thread started
    by Message-Id: <>
    ( if you don't understand
    what brought this on.

    In particular, anyone that still thinks drivers can use the input layer to
    send rfkill state change messages around, or that rfkill class and
    input-polldev work as a way to have read/write rfkill switches, go read
    that thread... Fixing this is about half the reason why this patchset
    exists (the other being that thinkpad-acpi needs it, and therefore I need
    it as an user and also as a kernel developer).

    This series is available as a git branch at:
    git:// rfkill

    The first two patches are just to sync the pending-merge queue of
    thinkpad-acpi to avoid wasting my time with various versions of other
    patches because of two patches that will hit mainline very soon. Do not
    pay too much attention to them.

    The input layer patch is already approved by Dmitry, but he asked me to
    merge it along with the rest of the stuff that needs it.

    The full rfkill work is NOT complete. The userspace interface is lacking a
    way to read and write to the global rfkill switch states, in order to let
    userspace do all that rfkill-input.c can do (i.e. something like the
    private rfkill_switch_all and rfkill_epo). I do have some patches that do
    it, but I am not happy with them. I will send them later, please comment
    on this "supposedly to be ready for merging" patch set first.

    As it stands, I'd like to know if the patches in this series are acceptable
    to go upstream. They do NOT break anything further in the kernel, but they
    don't fix any drivers by themselves either (the drivers, like b43, need to
    be fixed to use the rfkill class properly).

    If you need a 2.6.23 (might also work on 2.6.24 and 2.6.25) backport of
    this series, OR if you want to play with a modified thinkpad-acpi that uses
    these rfkill changes, please look at:
    git:// devel

    Comments are appreciated. The sooner this set of rfkill changes can begin
    the merge process, the better. I'd *really* like to see them merged in
    mainline during the 2.6.27 merge window (so that I can do the same with the
    rfkill support in thinkpad-acpi).

    Henrique Holschuh

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-18 20:57    [W:0.097 / U:7.468 seconds]