SubjectRe: Mechanism to safely force repair of single md stripe w/o hurting data integrity of file system
David Lethe wrote:
> It will. But that defeats the purpose. I want to limit repair to only the raid stripe that utilizes a specifiv disk with a block that I know has a unrecoverable reas error.

I bet $500 is well below minimum wage in the US for the number of hours it would
take someone to do this.

And I would say that if you have > 100TB in a single raid5/6 that would mean you
had to have at least 100 disks in that array, and most people get nervous at
>8-16 disks in either raid5 or raid6 arrays, and the statistics of disks going
bad, and the chance of a rebuild succeeding before another disk/block goes bad
gets smaller and smaller as the number of disks increase, as you have noted you
are at the point that it becomes unlikely that the rebuild will ever complete
even with good disks in the array. Most people build a number of smaller
raid5/raid6 arrays and then LVM them together to get around this issue. And on
top of that the larger number of disks the greater the IO required to do a
rebuild so the slower the rebuild potentially is. And that is assuming that
you don't have a bad batch of disks that has an abnormally high failure rate.

I know of a hardware disk arrays that handle the bad block issue by allocating
(on initial array construction) a set of spare blocks on each disk. On finding
a bad block on a disk they relocated and rebuild just the bad block on the disk
with the bad block from the stripe/parity and somehow note that the block on the
bad disk has been relocated, and after some number of bad blocks on a given
disk, they note that the given disk has too many bad blocks, and you that should
"clone" and then fail the original disk over to the cloned disk once the clone
is finished, but this sort of thing would seem to be rather non-trivial, though
if someone would setup a clone of the bad disk, and rebuild the bad sector this
would probably cut down the amount of time/IO required to complete a rebuild,
though it would still take several hours, and things would get more complicated
if you had another failure during that process.

Roger

  Last update: 2008-05-18 01:19    [W:0.043 / U:1.068 seconds]