SubjectRe: Top kernel oopses/warnings for the week of May 16th 2008
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:41:31AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Bug of the week
>> ---------------
>> Not in the top 10 (but barely not so), but upcoming fast is a bug that has a very
>> distinct pattern.
>> The backtraces are at http://www.kerneloops.org/searchweek.php?search=fput
>>
>> The pattern is that the kernel gets an invalid pointer passed to fput(),
>> coming down from a select() system call done by the "wpa_supplicant" program.
>> The fact that it is ONLY wpa_supplicant implicates the wireless/network stack.
>> Another observation is that this only happens with 64 bit kernels, even though
>> a large portion of the users uses 32 bit kernels. This implies that this is a 64-bit
>> type of bug. It appears that the top 32 bit of the pointers is getting corrupted
>> (the bottom part at least looks valid).
>
> Unless I misunderstand your webinterface another pattern is a "fc9" in
> the version string.

that's because fc9 is the only OS that currently ships the client by default,
which means that it's a statistical thing where 90%+ of the reports come from
Fedora kernels, just because that's where the data is mined.

> My first guess would be that it might be a problem in some code that is
> only in Fedora kernels?

that may or may not be true, but we can't conclude that right now.

  Last update: 2008-05-16 20:23    [W:0.092 / U:0.828 seconds]