    SubjectRe: [regression bisected] HR-timers bug >=2.6.25
    Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > The kernel doesn't hang, right? My reading of the description tells me
    > the splash just doesn't work.
    >
    > If it does hang the kernel, an NMI trace collected over serial or
    > netconsole (regular console being out of the question since its
    > graphical stuff :/) would be most helpful.

    I've seen it blank out in 2 different ways.

    1) Usplash completely finishes. Then screen goes blank for the usual mode change/screen refreshing,
    doing several refreshes of a blank screen. But, the screen then stays black.
    I do still hear the gdm sound, and can switch to a console.
    Pressing ctrl+alt+f1 makes the screen "refresh" again, but stay blank/black. I can still login but blindly.

    2) More rarely. Usplash hasn't finished (but near the end). The usplash screen fades out to black.
    It's like a screen burn in, or after image; the screen slowly fades out to black.
    After this the computer is _seemingly_unresponsive_ - Only alt+sysrq+b seems to work. (I have to hard reset)
    After I reboot the backlight is at the lowest level.

    Anyways, I think I can figure out how to set up a netconsole, but
    is there something more to setup a NMI trace? I found Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
    But, it doesn't say anything about a NMI trace.

    Justin

      Last update: 2008-05-16 19:29    [W:0.021 / U:32.020 seconds]