    SubjectRe: NET_SCHED cbq dropping too many packets on a bonding interface
    On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:09:36PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
    > Kingsley Foreman wrote:
    >> i just rolled back the kernel to 2.6.24 and im seeing the same thing,
    >>
    >> I was using 2.6.22 before and didn't see the problem, txqueuelen on the
    >> bond0 interface is 0 (the default)
    >
    > That might explain things, although it shouldn't have worked before
    > either.
    >
    > CBQ creates default pfifo qdiscs for its leaves, these use a limit
    > of txqueuelen or 1 if it is zero. So even small bursts will cause
    > drops. Do things improve if you set txqueuelen to a larger value
    > *before* configuring the qdiscs?

    Kingsley wrote to me that even after changing txqueuelen to 1000 the
    "dropped" number didn't change much. A debugging patch with printks
    around all "sch->qstats.dropps++" showed only the end of cbq_enqueue().
    I've asked to check tomorrow "pfifo limit 1000" for these drops too.

    > Another thing is that CBQ on bond will probably not work properly
    > at all, it needs a real device since it measures the timing between
    > dequeue events for idle time estimation. On software devices this
    > doesn't work.

    Right, but these drops without any sign of overactions or overlimits
    seem to show it's not about shaping (or it's not counted/documented
    enough).

    Regards,
    Jarek P.

      Last update: 2008-05-15 20:13    [W:0.021 / U:2.060 seconds]