    SubjectRe: [BUG] sysfs cpu?/topology is empty in 2.6.25 (32-bit Intel system)
    * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> [2008-05-06 14:04:36]:

    > * Vaidyanathan Srinivasan <svaidy@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
    >
    > > System topology on intel based system needs to be exported for
    > > non-numa case as well.
    > >
    > > All parts of asm-i386/topology.h has come under
    > > #ifdef CONFIG_NUMA after the merge to asm-x86/topology.h
    > >
    > > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/topology/* is populated based on
    > > ENABLE_TOPO_DEFINES
    > >
    > > The sysfs cpu topology is not being populated on my dual socket
    > > dual core xeon 5160 processor based (x86 32 bit) system.
    > >
    > > CONFIG_NUMA is not set in my case yet the topology is relevant
    > > and useful.
    > >
    > > irqbalance daemon application depends on topology to build the cpus
    > > and package list and it fails on Fedora9 beta since the sysfs topology
    > > was not being populated in the 2.6.25 kernel.
    > >
    > > I am not sure if it was intentional to not define ENABLE_TOPO_DEFINES
    > > for non-numa systems.
    > >
    > > This fix has been tested on the above mentioned dual core, dual socket
    > > system.
    >
    > applied, thanks Vaidyanathan.
    >
    > This was certainly not intentional - i suspect nobody noticed that
    > irqbalanced was working without proper topology information?

    Hi Ingo,

    Thank you for pushing the patch to 2.6.25-rc2. I have tested
    2.6.26-rc2 for correct topology information and parsing by irqbalance
    daemon in the following system configurations:

    32-bit Two socket dual core xeon 5160 processor system
    32-bit Two socket quad core xeon E5450 processor system

    --Vaidy

      Last update: 2008-05-15 20:01    [W:0.025 / U:61.204 seconds]