SubjectRe: [patch 21/21] slab defrag: Obsolete SLAB
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 02:53:57PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > Note the complete lack of comparison between slub and slab here! As far
> > as I know, slub still loses against slab by a few % -- but I haven't
> > finished running a comparison with -rc2 yet.
>
> Indeed remote frees are slightly slower in some situations. Dont really
> dispute that. I am just not sure that the TPC test is really suffering
> from that symptom. I thought for a long time that the tbench regression
> was due to a similar effect too until I got down to it.

Since there's no way we've found to date to get the TPC test to you,
how about we settle for analysing _this_ testcase which did show a
significant performance degradation for slub?

I don't think it's an unreasonable testcase either -- effectively it's
allocating memory on all CPUs and then freeing it all on one. If that's
a worst-case scenario for slub, then slub isn't suitable for replacing
slab yet.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-05-15 00:03    [W:0.312 / U:0.288 seconds]