SubjectRe: Unneeded kernel threads (xfs, jfs, gfs2)
FD Cami mumbled something about, On 5/13/08 8:51 AM:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:29:38 +1000
> Donald Douwsma <donaldd@sgi.com> wrote:
>
>> Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
>>> Hi guys, I know that not all kernel thread users are converted to
>>> start only when needed but the following is little annoying specially
>>> when I'm not even using jfs, xfs and gfs2.
>>>
>>> Look at the ps output from a standard distro 2.6.24.5 kernel after a
>>> fresh boot:
>>
>>> Kernel config can be found here:
>>> http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/kernels/hugesmp.s/config
>>>
>> Your distro is building all of these modules into the kernel.
>> CONFIG_XFS_FS=y
>> CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
>> CONFIG_GFS2_FS=y
>>
>> This isnt exactly standard practice, normally they'd be set to =m and only
>> used if required to mount a filesystem. You may want to ask the slackware
>> people why they chose to do this for their hugexxx.s kernels.
>
> To be able to use those filesystems on root partitions without requiring
> an initrd.
>
> Georgi might be interested to use the generic kernel instead of the huge
> one, it is available there :
> http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/a/kernel-generic-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2.tgz

I'm well aware of this kernels but I prefer to not use
initrd when possible and still have most of the functionality
available.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/

  Last update: 2008-05-13 10:35    [W:0.056 / U:0.076 seconds]