SubjectRe: WD doesn`t use disks with Linux - was Re: Re:Western Digital GreenPower drives and Linux
Roland wrote:
>> BTW, WD's tech support has gone silent so chances for an easier
>> solution are not so great.
>>
>> Tvrtko
>
> I`ve got a real funky response from WD support today, i`d like to
> share here.
> This is just too weird....
>
> After asking if they could give a comment if the problem with the high
> Load_Cycle_Count may be an issue of their drives or an issue of Linux
> i got:
>
> ------
> Dear......
> The problem is, that we actually don`t use the disks with Linux. I´m
> sorry that i cannot send further information to you.
>
> Sincery yours
> <insert support employee name here>
> Western Digital Service and Support
> ------
> (translated from german)

Well the answer was probably just from a first level support person so
nothing one should get excited about.
Anyway to the high Load_Cycle_Count; if I understood the technology
correctly the WD GreenPower drives are exactly "Green" because they
unload the heads on a plastic ramp (no landing zone!) quite often during
longer idle periods. Thus they can power off the positioning logic and
actuator of the heads. -> safe Power
This also explains why the power usage under seek is comparable with
other "non-green" drives...

<snipped a lot of stuff>
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 197 197 000 Old_age Always - 10233
my 1 TB drive has also a relative high value:

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age
Always - 2786

Just my 2 cents,
Arnd