SubjectRe: [git pull] scheduler fixes
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 04:42:03PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i was not talking about the race. I was just reacting on your comments
> about thundering herds and staggered wakeups - which is a performance
> detail. Semaphores should not regress AIM7 by 50% but otherwise they are
> legacy code and their use should be reduced monotonically, so i was
> asking why anyone still cares about tuning semaphore details in XFS
> instead of just working on removing semaphore use from them.

That's what we did. l_flushsema is gone. It actually got replaced with
a condition variable, but it's equivalent to a wait_event()

> exactly what usecase is that? Perhaps it could be converted to an atomic
> counter + the wait_event() APIs.

Effectively, it's a completion. It just works better with staggered
wakeups than it does with the naive completion.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-05-11 16:51    [W:0.115 / U:1.012 seconds]