SubjectRe: [regression] e1000e broke e1000 (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] e1000 toe1000e migration of PCI Express devices)
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:59:49PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Btw., a sidenote: this is another generally annoying property of Linux:
> there's no easy and user-visible enumeration of PCI IDs (devices) that
> we _could_ support but dont enable for some reason. It is a royal PITA
> to track down when some driver decides to (silently) ignore a piece of
> hardware.
>
> Having a seemingly dead piece of hardware component is one of the most
> frustrating user experiences possible - the first instinctive reaction
> is "did my hw break???". The kernel should proactively know about all
> inactive pieces of hardware and should have a one-stop-shop for users
> where they can reassure themselves which devices are not active and why.

It's almost trivial to add new string attributes to sysfs. We could
have a file, say, /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:07:03.0/broken which
lspci could read to see if anything's left a message for us.

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-04-08 22:07    [W:0.086 / U:0.036 seconds]