SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] e1000 to e1000e migration of PCI Express devices
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> ( sidenote: isnt there some facility that selects the "better" driver in
> case there is an overlap between PCI IDs - with the ability for users
> to override that selection? )

No.

Multiple PCI IDs in the same driver creates all sorts of problems,
because it becomes an ambiguious selection where automated tools cannot
make a choice for you.

Each one typically requires special case code in relevant distro
installers, hardware detectors, and similar gadgets, since the normal
modules.pcimap stuff doesn't work due to the duplicate IDs.

We have no way to export which is the "preferred" driver -- and indeed
in many cases, that's an impossible task, since the "preferred" driver
for a user sometimes depends on the hardware's programmed mode rather
than just a choice.

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-04-08 16:25    [W:0.242 / U:1.392 seconds]