    >> In the kernel all tabs are 8 spaces wide.
    >> When you view the code with a different setting that's your fault.
    > And for other kernel developers tabs are for indention, spaces for alignment.
    > Forget it - the world will not unify about this.

    Resistance to change is only natural, but OTOH no change leads to stagnation.
    I completely agree that if we don't encourage this as an alternative it will
    indeed never happen but just saying "forget it" brings us nowhere.

    I still believe that once people get used to this mentally they can see this
    method's merits and how its logic relates to the program's structure: syntax
    and coding style.