>> In the kernel all tabs are 8 spaces wide.
>> When you view the code with a different setting that's your fault.
> And for other kernel developers tabs are for indention, spaces for alignment.
> Forget it - the world will not unify about this.

Resistance to change is only natural, but OTOH no change leads to stagnation.
I completely agree that if we don't encourage this as an alternative it will
indeed never happen but just saying "forget it" brings us nowhere.

I still believe that once people get used to this mentally they can see this
method's merits and how its logic relates to the program's structure: syntax
and coding style.