    SubjectRe: [patch] checkpatch: relax spacing and line length
    On Apr. 06, 2008, 8:18 +0300, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:54:54 +0200 (CEST) Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de> wrote:
    >
    >> We all had the arguments about 80 columns, so here goes a relax.
    >> Checking for 95 (or perhaps something better?), but of course we
    >> print "80" in the output, because if you happened to get to 95, it's
    >> "really time" to break it.
    >
    > This will reduce the usefulness of checkpatch for those developers who
    > choose to observe an 80-column limit.
    >
    >> This also relaxes the tab doctrine, because spaces DO make sense --
    >> especially when you view the code with a tab setting of not-8.
    >
    > Non-tab-using code inevitably ends up having a mix of tabs and non-tabs
    > and looks a mess if tabstops are set to anything other than eight.

    I humbly disagree. If you use tabs for (logical) indentation and then trailing
    spaces for (graphical) alignment, not just a random mix of tabs and spaces the
    code looks fine with 8-character wide tabs or any other setup. Only when you
    use tabs for graphical alignment, below fixed-width characters on the line above
    you marry yourself with a specific tab expansion width.

    Benny

    > God I wish I had not been cc'ed on this.

    The idea is *not* to open the flood gates, just to allow for a bit more
    flexibility to accommodate for a more robust indentation style.