    SubjectRe: sata_via
    Rich West wrote:
    > I was only curious as to what turning off power management support would
    > buy with regard to the sata timeout issue.

    ACPI is not only power management. It is all the information your
    hardware conveys to your OS, about the setup and workings of your hardware.

    Without ACPI, non-PM things like SMP, laptop dock/undock, and many other
    gadgets fail to function (or are configured sub-optimally).

    ACPI sets up interrupt routing, and Linux history is _loaded_ with
    _years_ of problem reports that appear as timeouts, only to be resolved
    as ACPI interrupt bugs (aka BIOS bugs, since ACPI tables come from BIOS).

    Jeff

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans